The internet can be accessed by anyone, while the intranet can only be accessed by several users who have passed verification. The following are the main differences between the internet and intranet.
1. The internet connects various computer networks from all over the world, while the intranet only connects a few computers that are in a particular computer network, for example computers that are in a corporate computer network.
2. Intranet is part of the internet, but not vice versa.
3. Anyone can access the internet, while the intranet can only be accessed by members of the organization or company employees. Usually to be able to enter the intranet, the user must log in first.
4. Internet security is very fragile because of its wide accessibility. Important data and information that is transferred or sent via the internet may be leaked to other parties who are not responsible.
If outsiders can get information data that is on the intranet server, it means there are insider sources who leaked it so the company is easier to identify the source of the leak.
5. The number of users who can access the internet is unlimited, while the number of intranet users is limited in one company or one organization.
6. Content on the internet consists of various types and comes from various sources. Content is available to anyone who wants to access it. While the content on the intranet network is content that is specific and only useful for the interests of the organization or company. Intranet content is only available to organizational staff and is not intended for the public.
7. While the intranet network belongs to a particular organization or company. Hence the internet network is called a public network and the intranet network is called a private network.
8. The internet can use a variety of network technologies such as wireless, optical, or electronic technology.